02 September 2007

A question of propriety

My uncle (mother's brother) died suddenly and unexpectedly over the weekend. I have not been asked to give a eulogy and do not expect to be. I am the only Mormon in my family (besides my wife) and my parents and assorted other relatives have been vocally anti-Mormon in the not-so-distant past.

If you were in my place, would you dare to use scriptures from the standard works other than the KJV Bible? I can think of many scriptures that would be both enlightening and uplifting at the time of a loved one's death that come out of the D&C and the BoM. Would you mention them in a hypothetical eulogy in a non-Mormon chapel?

My wife has also been asked to play the piano during the service. Could she use some LDS hymns that were appropriate to the occasion, but not found in the hymnal of my family's denomination?

In general, how much leeway do I have to use this as an opportunity to share the Gospel and when have I crossed the line and become tacky and even offensive?

4 comments:

  1. Okay, so I know this is a couple days late but I wanted to chime in. I would definitely share a scripture in a eulogy, but I would stick to the Old and New Testament. The reason being, there is a time and a place to make a statement, and funerals are rarely that time and place. Still, using the LDS hymnal wouldn't be an issue to me, though you may want to avoid "If I Could Hie to Kolob". I think if the notion comes into your mind that you may be pushing the limit, you probably are.

    Well, Caroline and I can't wait to see you guys Friday night. It's going to be so much fun. Go karts!!!!

    ~Justing

    ReplyDelete
  2. why don't i ever spell check?

    ~J

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would also reccommend sticking to the Biblical verses. There is plenty in there to suffice; though some of my favorites are from the Book of Mormon, (such as Alma 40:11).

    If you speak by the power of the Holy Ghost the scriptures from the New Testament will carry your conviction of Christ, not just of the Church of Jesus Christ, to the hearts of those with ears to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was once asked to sing at a non-LDS funeral. Their request? O My Father. No joke.

    I say go for it; preach from King Follett.

    ReplyDelete