24 July 2007

Living a life of conscience

The BYU-Dick Cheney controversy is old news now, but one of the people who many of us heard a lot about during those weeks was Diane Bailey, president of the BYU Democrats. I imagined (and it was later confirmed) that she endured a great deal of social pressure and unpleasantness because of the stance that she took. I wanted to send her an e-mail thanking her for being willing to give a voice to what many of us who are members of the Church, but are not currently affiliated with BYU, were thinking at the time. As part of the e-mail I said something that sounds roughly like the following:

"Though I am constantly challenged by other members of the Church about my political principles, I feel that liberal principles and the platform of the Democratic party are my best opportunities to live a live of conscience within the Church"

I am sure that it was even less eloquent than above when I originally typed it in my e-mail, but that was the gist of the thing. I believe that espousing liberal principles is most fully in harmony with the values of Mormonism, even if it clashes with the political beliefs of most of its members and leaders.

No comments:

Post a Comment